Our five convenient age-based portfolios offer professional diversification in one simple step. When you open the account, you select the portfolio that corresponds to the age of your child or other beneficiary. As your child grows, your account assets are automatically moved to the next appropriate age-based portfolio. In general, the portfolios become more conservative over time. That is, a smaller portion of the portfolio is invested in stock funds that tend to be more volatile.
For example, Tom opens an account when his daughter Beth is 6 years old. He selects the DC College Savings 6-10 portfolio, which may be invested 81% in stock funds. When Beth reaches age 11, account assets are automatically moved to the DC College Savings 11-13 portfolio, and the stock portion of the investment is reduced to 65%. The stock portion will be reduced even further as Beth nears college.
Twice a year, or when the account beneficiary changes, you have the option to change from an age-based portfolio to a single fund investment.
The age-based portfolios include the underlying investments listed below. See the Program Disclosure Booklet for more detail about these funds.
- US Large Cap Equity: Calvert Social Index Fund — Class A
- US Mid Cap Equity: Calvert Capital Accumulation Fund — Class A
- US Small Cap Equity: Calvert Small Cap Fund — Class A
- Non-US Equity: Calvert International Opportunities Fund — Class A
- Bonds: Calvert Bond Portfolio — Class A
- Cash (Funding Agreement): Ameritas Principal Plus*